Colossians 2:8 (NIV) See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.
Hey, welcome to The Simple Truth. I’m Julie Carruth.
In Colossians chapter two verse eight, the Apostle Paul warns believers about deliberate attacks on Christians as he writes “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.”
So, Paul says we need to know 5 things about these false teachers:
1. They are enticing and deceptive, and because of that, you need to be on alert and careful. They will teach you the truth but then just ever so slightly veer off, and you’ll find yourself so caught up in what they say, that you won’t even realize your falling for a belief that doesn’t center on God’s Word.
2. False teachers will take you captive. This was a word used for taking captives in war. Paul’s giving the idea here of false teachers who take Christians captive and drag them away as booty.
3. False teachers will deceive you with their empty philosophies that combine worldly philosophies with the gospel but they don’t conform to the truth of Christ
4. False teachers’ philosophies will depend on human tradition. At the time of Paul’s letter, people believed that the older the philosophy, the more credible and realistic it was. And Paul’s saying just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it’s true and number
5. False teachers’ philosophies depend on the elemental spiritual forces of this world. In Jewish thinking, this referred to supernatural beings who are the rulers and authorities in heavenly places. What Paul is saying is that there are evil spirits behind false teachings.
So, your Simple Truth for today: you can identify false teachers by paying attention to what they do with Jesus. You may find they talk a lot about God or this universe, but who do they say Jesus is? Because unless Christ is at the heart of their teaching, the wisdom you gain may lead you down the wrong path.
Hey, thanks for joining in. Join us each weekday in your favorite podcasting app. Or by asking your Amazon smart speaker to Play Bible Study. Or by going to TheSimpleTruthPodcast.com.
Have a blessed day. I’ll see you tomorrow.